Club History

 The History of High Moss Sarsfields GFC

Around the mid 1920's there was much speculation in Derrytrasna and surrounding townlands that a Gaelic football club might be formed. This came to fruition in the spring of 1926 when a meeting was held in the High Moss. A committee was elected with the mandate to organise a Gaelic Football team in the district. The names on this historic committee were recorded as:


Chairman - John Quinn

Secretary - James McGeown

Treasurer - Stewart Lennon


Committee members:

Felix Haughian, Thomas McConville, John McGeown, Arthur John McGeown, and Edward Murray.


A field was provided to play on by Frank Lennon and Sarsfields first match was played in April 1926. Sarsfields entered the South-West Antrim league, like so many teams from the surrounding area. Soon Sarsfields would record their first win - which happened to be over their nearest rivals Wolfe Tones. 

In 1928 Sarsfields, Clan-na-Gael and Wolfe Tones left the South-West Antrim league and played in the Lurgan league. That year Sarsfields won their first trophy, defeating a much fancied Phelim Brady's (Maghery) side.


Sarsfields next success was in 1931 when they defeated Clan-na-Gael in the Derrymacash St.Enda's tournament. Around this time the nucleus of a great Sarsfields Seven-aside team was forming, with many players now representing their county as well. Indeed, this great seven-aside team would remain unbeaten for nearly a decade!


During the 1940's and 1950's Sarsfields continued to have great success, emerging as one of the dominant forces of North Armagh football.


The latter part of the 1960's was to see more tangible rewards for many years of dedication - in form of some prestige silverware (The Woods Cup). In September 1969 High Moss Sarsfields defeated a gallant Ballyhegan Davitt's side. The game on that day was refereed by Denis Seely.

The current pitch is located on the adequately named Hall Rampart.