Match Reports‎ > ‎

Defeat in Granemore

posted 14 May 2012, 14:28 by Unknown user

Granemore 1-08 Sarsfields 1-05

Sarsfields were missing Eimeíd Murray, Brian Lavery and Mark Reynolds through illness, with Kieran Kerr and Paul McGeown also out because of injury. This game was played in very difficult conditions with the strong swirling wind favouring the home side in the first half.

Both sides hit over early frees and were playing decent football despite the difficult conditions. A great move involving Eamon McGeown and Thomas McAlinden ended with a fifth minute goal for Richie Stevenson. A moment later a second free from Richie brought his and Sarsfields tally to 1-02. By the tenth minute Sarsfields lead 1-03 to 0-02 after Michael Stevenson hit over a free. However Sarsfields weren’t to score for the remainder of the half. Granemore pressurised Sarsfields using the advantage of the wind, but Sarsfields defended well and were able to push forward, but scores were difficult to get against the wind. The half changed when Sarsfields had a goal chance cleared and immediately Granemore hit a goal to see them lead by a point at half time. The ball looked to be dropping short but was fisted on to a forward on the edge of the small square who gave the Highmoss keeper no chance.

It would have seemed that given the conditions a one point lead wouldn't be sufficient for the home side. A point each from Paul Magee and Michael Stevenson edged the Highmoss ahead early in the first half, but again Sarsfields lacking penetration failed to score for the remainder of the game. Strangely enough the slender lead was held for fifteen minutes before Granemore pulled level. Again some great defending was putting pressure on Granemore, a great example of which was  Declan Breen putting in a super block that almost certainly prevented a score. The Granemore point saw an increase in workrate from Sarsfields and Michael Stevenson saw a superb effort come off the underside of the bar hit the line and come out. Colin Stevenson palmed the rebound towards what seemed a certain goal, but amazingly the ball was kept out. A goal at this stage would surely have won the game for Sarsfields. Granemore pushed forward and took the lead with three minutes remaining and added a couple of injury time points to win by three. All in all, a disappointing second half performance after a promising first half display and yet the game could have been won.