Match Reports‎ > ‎

Defeat in League Opener

posted 1 Apr 2012, 14:21 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jul 2012, 11:59 ]

Killeavy 1-13 Sarsfields 2-09

Straight from the throw in, a direct ball to Paul McGeown allowed him to put over a decent point. Good defending forced a wide from Killeavy on their first attack. Again direct ball from Sarsfields caused problems for Killeavy and one attack, if Paul McGeown spotted a run from Thomas McAlinden a goal may well have been on. Killeavy added a second point and were on top at this stage, though some poor play pushing forward was contributing to the Highmoss’ problems. A poor pass led to a counter attack and a goal for the home side, quickly followed by a point putting them five ahead. This spurred Sarsfields into action, but Paul McGeown saw a shot go wide despite having done everything right winning possession and beating his man. Eamon McGeown stopped the rot getting a fist to a Richie Stevenson 45’ to push it over the bar. Killeavy cancelled out that point after the ball was given away in the Highmoss half back line. Richie pulled a score back with a free and a good move finished with a Thomas McAlinden point. Thomas may well have been trying to chip the keeper who was off his line and had the ball dropped slightly it would have been a goal. Had he spotted the positioning of Gary Creaney, again it almost certainly would have been a goal. Killeavy quickly pulled a point back. The Sarsfields goal did come though and it was Eimeid Murray who rose to fist a crossing ball to the net, reducing the deficit to a point. A moment later a Richie Stevenson free levelled matters. In a strong finish points from Thomas McAlinden and Paul McGeown put Sarsfields into a two point half time lead.

Sarsfields at this stage looked favourites for the win, but three points in as many minutes restored the Killeavy lead and for one of those points the forward elected to fist the point rather than shoot for goal. Frees from Richie Stevenson and Paul McGeown put Sarsfields a point up, but just as in the first half Killeavy hit five points without reply to lead by four. Again Sarsfields had hit a few chances wide. An Eamon McGeown goal brought Sarsfields back into contention. Eamon had done well winning possession and despite some pressure managed to round the keeper and finish into an empty net. With only a point in the game Thomas McAlinden saw two chances go wide. For the second of those, it seemed that the goal was on and possibly he was caught in two minds before he shot. Sarsfields had one final attack but lost possession and the chance of salvaging a draw was gone.