Match Reports‎ > ‎

Disappointment for Highmoss

posted 5 Jul 2011, 15:21 by Sarsfields PRO

Sarsfields 0-10 Dromintee 2-12

Sarsfields went into this match on a high having beaten Crossmaglen in their previous outing. In addition the Highmoss were unlucky not to have taken all the points in their visit to the South Armagh side earlier in the season, so it was fair to say that a home win was a distinct possibility.

There was one personnel change from the Cross match with Brian Kerr being injured and Brian Lavery coming in and this was combined with a few positional changes.

Sarsfields struck first with an Eamon McGeown point from play. Early on it was nip and tuck, the visitors hit two points and Sarsfields replied with a couple of points, Paul Hughes putting over a fine effort from forty metres out on the sideline. Dromintee levelled matters with a 45’ after John Stevenson blocked a goal bound shot from Miceál O’Rourke. Sarsfields edged ahead when a 45’ of their own was given short to Eamon McGeown. The Hoops had the opportunity to push further ahead with a goal chance from a ball sent across the square. However good defensive work saw the chance cleared from the goal line when a Highmoss man was ready to pounce. Good work from Richie and Paul McGaughey created the chance and Michael Stevenson put Sarsfields two ahead as half time loomed, though two handy frees for the visitors levelled matters before the break.

The second half started very poorly for Hoops. Miceál O’Rourke scored a point from play, and the next kick out was won by Dromintee, played in to Miceál O’Rourke who crashed the ball to the net. The next high ball in saw Peter Stevenson harshly judged to have fouled and O’Rourke converted from thirteen meters.

Eventually the Highmoss won a kick out and Paul McGaughey drove at the Dromintee defence beat three defenders and scored a super point. The next chance Sarsfields had was a glorious goal chance. Good work from Neil McCann and Mark Reynolds set up Michael Stevenson but unlike Wednesday night he failed to hit the target. Dromintee added a point when a free was taken forward due to ‘talking’ to the referee. The next score was crucial but it was the visitors who got it. A long diagonal ball in to full forward line was won by Martin O’Rourke and he supplied younger brother Miceál, for his second goal. There may have been twenty minutes remaining but Dromintee had an eight point lead. Sarsfields got the next score a free from a Richie Stevenson free. Dromintee closed up the game at this stage but a fine point from Paul Magee from forty yards was a just reward for his work rate and persistence. Richie added two frees and there was a further great goal chance but Eamon McGeown blasted it wide. All in all it was a disappointing result following the heroics of the previous Wednesday night in Crossmaglen.