Match Reports‎ > ‎

First League Win For Sarsfields

posted 20 Jun 2011, 14:31 by Sarsfields PRO

Carrickcruppen 2-07 Sarsfields 1-13

Sarsfields got their first win of the season but they didn't do it the easy way. Leading by five points with twenty minutes gone the Highmoss conceded two goals in three minutes and went in level at half time. Carrickcruppen led by two, ten minutes into the second half and looked the more likely to take both points. However in a super ten minute spell Sarsfields hit 1-04 without reply. Michael Stevenson inspired the side with three great points to edge the Hoops in front. A Mark Reynolds goal increased the lead to four points and when Eamon McGeown sent over a well taken free from distance the win was almost secured. Cruppen pulled back a couple of points to ensure a nervy ending which had over five minutes of injury time.


Injuries to Brian Lavery and Johnny Reynolds meant that Paul Hughes and Michael Stevenson came in to the starting line up, whilst positional changes saw Kieran McAlinden replace Declan Breen.

Sarsfields started well and had four points on the board before Carrickcruppen registered their first score. However the Highmoss should have had a few more scores in that time. Eoin Murray found himself in a goal scoring but was fouled, giving Sarsfields a handy free for their first point. Various attacks ended with possession being given away to easily and a couple of others went wide. The home side also had a good goal chance but were denied by a great block from Brian Kerr. In a simple direct move Paul Magee caught a great ball in midfield, laid it off to Paul McGaughey and he calmly took the point. An Eamon McGeown free followed by a point from play notched up a five point lead but by this time Cruppen had saw several goal chances go astray. Cruppen found the net twice in three minutes and both sets of supporters were in agreement that the goals had been coming. Between the two goals Paul Magee landed a great long range point, so the sides were level as the match neared half time. Eamon McGeown added a point after a great passing move and he most likely was going for the goal, but saw it rise over the bar. The home side equalised with a free that proved to be the last kick of the half and there was no doubt that the Highmoss would have been disappointed to be level considering the amount of play they had.

An Eamon McGeown free edged Sarsfields ahead early in the second half. Prior to that he had a goal chance but saw his shot blocked down. His point proved to be the Hoops last score for fifteen minutes. The Highmoss had a few chances but they were sent wide and Mark Reynolds was denied a goal by a great save. Meanwhile Carrickcruppen sent over three points without reply to lead by two points and they might have been further ahead but for some vital interceptions by Patrick Stevenson.

Michael Stevenson stopped the rot with three points in a row that restored the Highmoss lead and it has to be said that the points were well deserved given the amount of work he was putting in. This lifted Sarsfields and the next score was a goal from Mark Reynolds. The work was done by Paul McGaughey, who was probably Sarsfields best player on the night. Paul set up Mark with a pass and he was in a similar position to his earlier goal chance, but this time he was not to be denied by the home keeper. Eamon McGeown rounded of a great spell with a very well taken free, demonstrating that chances are more easily taken when your team is not under severe pressure. Cruppen pulled a couple of points back and ensured a nervous ending considering that they had reduced the deficit to a single score. There was time for a final chance at goal when they dropped the ball into the square deep into injury time but Sarsfields held out for a vital win.