Match Reports‎ > ‎

Good Home Win For Sarsfields

posted 25 Jun 2012, 01:39 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jul 2012, 01:26 ]

Sarsfields 2-13 Ballymacnab 0-09

Last time out Sarsfields hit 2-13 and it wasn’t enough, but in this match Sarsfields were comfortable winners. This match was played on a fairly heavy pitch with the odd bit of surface water given the unseasonal weather over the previous couple of days.

Ballymacnab registered on the scoreboard within seconds. The poor conditions though led to a few wayward passes and missed scoring opportunities. Richie Stevenson hit over a free, the visitors pulled that back fairly quickly and Richie then replied with the first Highmoss score from play. Mid-way through the half both sides had only hit a couple of points each and Sarsfields in particular had hit three or four wides. The most noticeable misses had been from the left from left footed players. Points were exchanged and Richie Stevenson’s fourth point may well have been a goal chance after a good run by Paul McGaughey. He was quickly closed down but passed out to Richie for the point. A moment later, Paul McGaughey capitalised on a goal chance. A dangerous ball in was allowed to land in the square and Paul controlled the ball and shot soccer style to the net to put Highmoss two up. On the stroke of half time the visitors reduced the deficit to the minimum with a late point. Sarsfields though had been winning more midfield possession and were picking up breaking ball. On the face of it the switch of Paul Magee into the centre was paying off as was the starting place given to Darren Breen in the half back line.

Sarsfields had a good start to the second half and extended their lead. The first two points were excellent efforts, the first by Richie from the side-line and the second a good score from distance by Eamon McGeown. At this stage Sarsfields were playing well and the breeze was favouring the forwards. Colin Stevenson added a point after Paul Magee had carried the ball in and Richie Stevenson hit a point when it looked like the goal was on. When Colin Stevenson landed his second point of the half, Highmoss had hit five unanswered points. Ballymacnab though were spurred into action. In a five minute spell they hit two points, had a couple of wides that could have been scored and set up a superb goal scoring opportunity only to be denied by an outstanding Darran McAvoy save putting enough on the ball to see it over the bar. Sarsfields replied with three quick points, two from Richie Stevenson and a point from Eamon McGeown. For the second time in the match Richie took a point when it seemed that the goal was on. It could be pointed out that his couple of points had settled the team, edged Highmoss into a seven point lead and taken his tally to eight points.

The second goal was coming. First Mark Reynolds forced a save with the keeper pushing a great strike off the crossbar, then Eamon McGeown grabbed a goal, after being set up for the score by Paul McGaughey. In a good performance, Paul had unselfishly set up a couple of goal scoring chances as well as grabbing a goal himself. Ballymacnab pulled a score back, but Richie Stevenson had the last say taking his points total to a very respectable nine points.