Match Reports‎ > ‎

Heartache for U16's in Final Replay

posted 8 Oct 2012, 13:49 by Unknown user

Sarsfields 2-07 Middletown 4-11

Heavy rain just before throw in made for difficult conditions for the teams, though both sets of players served up an exciting game. Middletown hit the first point from a free, but the Sarsfields response was swift and decisive. A high ball in dropped short, Niall Stones collected and hit a superb shot to the corner of the net. Playing the direct ball Middletown hit a point after good defensive work had pushed the scorer wide to prevent a goal chance. Another couple of points saw Middletown edge ahead and they were looking the better team, but the Highmoss answered this with their second goal. Caolan Skelton hit the goal after a great run playing a one – two with Ryan Creaney. The next attack resulted in a Middletown penalty but the shot was blazed wide to the relief of the large Highmoss crowd. Middletown pulled back having the most of the possession, but the first Sarsfields point from Daniel McCaughley edged them back in front. At this stage six of the seven Middletown points had come from frees. Sarsfields had a great opportunity to hit a third goal, but the pass across the goal fell agonisingly short. Both sides exchanged scores and neither side was able to push ahead. A point from Caolan Skelton was quickly cancelled out and it seemed the sides would be level at half time. Disappointingly a last minute goal for the South Armagh side gave them a three point advantage at the interval.

Sarsfields began the second half well with a quick Caolan Skelton point. They should have edged ahead with a third goal, but Niall Stones saw his rasper of a shot come off the underside of the crossbar on to the line and come out. The players followed up but the ball somehow stayed out. A second Caolan Skelton narrowed the gap to a point and Sarsfields at this stage were on top. A Micheál McKenna free pulled the sides level and it was game on. However Middletown broke out of their half for the first time in ten minutes hit a goal and quickly followed this with a point. Sarsfields responded and Micheál McKenna hit over a point. Unfortunately a few scoring opportunities that could have pulled the deficit back were sent wide. The feeling was that Sarsfields needed to make better use of their possession. With ten to go a Sarsfields point made it a two point game. Middletown extended their lead to three points, but Sarsfields were still in with a chance. A further Middletown point gave them the breathing space they needed and the next attack led to a fortunate enough goal to ensure victory. To rub salt into the wound Middletown hit a fourth goal and Sarsfields missed a penalty with the last kick of the ball. Middletown had been the better team but the final score did not reflect the margin between the two teams. Sarsfields can be very proud of their performance and can look to what might have been, had a few goal chances gone their way.