Match Reports‎ > ‎

Highmoss Edged Out by Harps

posted 23 Jun 2012, 08:02 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jul 2012, 01:14 ]

Armagh Harps 2-16 Sarsfields 2-13

As the scoreline suggests this was a high scoring and entertaining match with end to end football. Early on though both defences were coping with the quick ball in. Harps hit two quick points and Johnny Reynolds replied with a point after an assist from his brother Mark. Sarsfields pushed forward but lost possession and were punished with a goal when Harps countered quickly.

Sarsfields however in their best spell of the game hit eight points against a single point from Harps to lead by three. Three points came from frees from the boot of Michael Stevenson, Colin Stevenson hit a couple, Richie and Eamon McGeown knocked over points and Johnny Reynolds added his second score. Sarsfields were winning breaking ball in midfield and to this extent Eimeid Murray was doing fairly well. Sarsfields could have been further ahead considering the possession, however a mix up in defence led to a Harps goal chance and Darran McAvoy had to make a superb save.

Leading by three and playing fairly well as the first half came to a close, it was disappointing to see Highmoss drop their concentration. Harps finished the half with three points and two of those were in injury time to level the match.

Johnny Reynolds edged Highmoss ahead on the restart and Harps pulled the score back. Sarsfields then pulled clear with a goal; Johnny Reynolds had put the Harps defender under pressure causing him to lose possession and Paul McGaughey took advantage. Points were exchanged with Paul McGaughey yet again causing the Harps defence bother. Harps then levelled the match with a goal. The Sarsfields response though was immediate and they hit back with a goal. The ball had bobbed in and out of the goalmouth and Eamon McGeown got a vital touch palming the ball back into the square allowing Colin Stevenson to fire Highmoss three ahead. At this stage it was looking good for Sarsfields as they were showing good character and responding to whatever Harps were throwing at them.

For the next period though Harps dominated and Sarsfields found it very difficult to get the ball. Harps hit over eight points without reply to go into a five point lead. This lead could have been greater; Harps hit a few wides and Peter Stevenson saved a ball on the line. Sarsfields made a few changes but they couldn’t stem the tide. A couple of injury time points pulled it back to three points. However the feeling was that Harps had taken their foot off the pedal at this stage.