Match Reports‎ > ‎

Maghery Remain Unbeaten

posted 7 May 2012, 14:09 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jul 2012, 11:41 ]

Sarsfields 0-09 Maghery 2-08

Games against your lough shore rivals are always eagerly anticipated, but when they come to Sarsfields with an unbeaten record, there is a bit of added spice to the fixture. Sarsfields’ case wasn’t helped with the unavailability of Eamon McGeown and Paul Magee plus the fact that Michael Stevenson had come down with a bug in the run up to the game.
Sarsfields had a setback within thirty seconds of the throw in, when Maghery hit an early goal. To be fair a Maghery forward had shown a great turn of speed in the move, but most Highmoss supporters were not happy with the number of steps that he took before passing the ball to the goal scorer. Sarsfields responded with a great ball into Paul McGeown who made a good catch, turned and shot only to be denied by the Maghery keeper. Maghery added a point before Mark Reynolds hit over a great point for the Highmoss. Mid-way through the first half it was the early goal that separated the sides. As the half wore on, Maghery might have been further ahead but for some wasteful shooting, whilst Sarsfields had saw several attacks snuffed out by a strong Maghery defence and also had a few chances go short or wide. Two late points saw Maghery lead by five at half time.

On the restart Maghery stretched their lead to six points. Sarsfields were beginning some good moves but were seeing them break down. Mark Reynolds placed a ball on to Paul McGeown, but he wasn’t able to get a sufficient contact to create a goal chance. Richie Stevenson hit over his third point and with four points between the sides it was all to play for. However Maghery hit the next score and it was a well taken goal after the Highmoss defence was caught out. Michael Stevenson who had just come on hit the next two points a great score from play and a difficult free. Maghery hit the next point after Mark Reynolds having made a great catch, was uncharacteristically robbed of possession. Mark though kicked over the next point when he was set up by a great Paul McGaughey run. Richie Stevenson hit over a free and there was hope that another Highmoss score could leave one score between the sides. Michael Stevenson saw a tricky side-line free edge wide and moments later the Maghery keeper went up to send over a ‘45’ to put the game beyond Sarsfields. In the final minute Peter Stevenson pushed up to steal a point.