Match Reports‎ > ‎

Poor Showing at Pearse Óg

posted 22 Aug 2011, 15:12 by Sarsfields PRO
Pearse Óg 2-16 Sarsfields 0-09

This game saw Johnny Reynolds, Eimeid Murray and Paul McGeown start, in place of Eamon McGeown., Peter Stevenson and Mark Reynolds. Early on the signs were ominous for the Highmoss. The home side blazed a goal chance just wide of the post and sent another few chances of points wide. Against the run of play Michael Stevenson landed the first point for Sarsfields after a good move involving Thomas McAlinden and Richie Stevenson. The reply from Pearse Óg was swift and decisive ending with the ball in the Highmoss net. The Ógs added a point; Sarsfields sent a few chances wide and Richie Stevenson was denied a goal by the Pearse Óg keeper. Eimeid Murray scored a point twenty minutes in getting a fist to a good Kieran McAlinden shot that was dropping just short and Sarsfields were only four points down. A moment later Richie Stevenson had a great goal chance, but was brought down in the square. Unfortunately the penalty was sent wide and this was probably the turning point in the game. The home side added four points without reply to go eight points clear. Thomas McAlinden and Richie Stevenson pulled back a couple of points, though Darren McAvoy made a superb save and Kieran McAlinden snatched the ball from the goal line to deny the goal chance. Half time saw Sarsfields six points down, but they had missed a few scoring chances.

Points were exchanged in the second half and the first twenty minutes saw both sides hit five points. That said Pearse Óg were more efficient and accurate with their scoring chances while Sarsfields were not as economical with their shooting. Midway through the half the Pearse Óg keeper denied Richie Stevenson a goal pushing the ball over the bar. Having dealt with the Highmoss pressure the home side sent over four late points to go ten points clear and to add insult to injury the Óg’s hit the net with the last kick of the game.