Match Reports‎ > ‎

Sarsfields lose to Maghery

posted 2 May 2011, 09:25 by Sarsfields PRO
Sarsfields 0-10 Maghery 1-09

Peter Stevenson was unavailable for this game and Mark Reynolds was out through injury, so Declan Breen and John Stevenson came into the team. The Sarsfields defence dealt with the first attack of the game, but a poor clearance led to Maghery’s first score. Sarsfields’ first attack involved quick and direct movement of the ball but the chance was sent wide. Both sides traded a couple of wides, before Thomas McAlinden unchallenged, grabbed the first score for the Highmoss after a frantic Maghery clearance, from the small square. Thomas moments later forced a clearance off the goal line by a Maghery defender. He had come across the Maghery keeper but didn’t just get the correct contact for the shot. Maghery added on a couple of points, but also had sent a couple of shots wide. The chances had come, really because of Sarsfields inability to hold possession in the half and full forward lines. Richie Stevenson pulled back a point from a free but the visitors replied almost immediately with a free. The next period of the game proved crucial to Sarsfields. First an Eamon McGeown shot that looked like a possible score, was adjudged to have gone wide. Then Paul Hughes dropped a very dangerous ball in on goal. Eamon McGeown got the final touch to put the ball over the goal line, but frustratingly for the home side the decision was given as a square ball. To rub salt into the wound Maghery replied with a goal and it was a cruel deflection off a Highmoss defender that beat Darren McAvoy. Thomas McAlinden then missed a handy free for Sarsfields and you could sense that it just wasn’t going to be Sarsfields’ night.  Maghery made it 1-06 to 0-02, but a late free from Richie left six points between the sides at half time.

Sarsfields looked sharper in the second half, Paul Hughes put over an early point before Maghery restored their six point lead. Richie added another free and John Stevenson scored his first point. Maghery replied with a point, but they were also guilty of sending chances wide. Maghery’s third point of the second half re-established their six point lead with ten minutes remaining and it looked like game over for Sarsfields. However three quick points, all from Richie Stevenson gave Sarsfields some hope. Sarsfields playing a bit better continued to put pressure on Maghery, Eamon McGeown added a point, but the goal that Sarsfields would have needed didn’t come before time ran out.