Match Reports‎ > ‎

Sarsfields U21's win Local Derby

posted 5 Nov 2012, 14:02 by Unknown user
Sarsfields 1-03 Wolfe Tones 0-04
Sarsfields began brightly enough and several chances to take points, though all were missed either sent wide or dropped short. The first score, a goal, came from an error by the Tones keeper when he came out past the 13m line to get involved in clearing the ball. Sensing that if he could retrieve possession the goal was on, Ryan McAlinden challenged for and won the ball. All was left was the chip into an empty net. Paul McGeown saw a shot go wide and he may well have been trying to chip the keeper who was just off his line. Moments later full forward Gareth McGeown got in a shot when the ball went to ground in the square. This time the Tones keeper had it covered, though Gareth hadn’t seemed to get much force into the shot. Tones came back with a point and their score had also come after a series of missed chances. Late in the half Paul McGeown found his range with a long free after a couple of missed opportunities. To be fair the Tones plan seemed to be to give away the foul outside the 45m line so none of the chances had been that easy. Paul then hit over a well taken point from play despite the attentions of a few Tones defenders. This put the Highmoss four points up and they held that advantage at half time.
Tones hit over a free early in the second half, but this was quickly cancelled out by a Paul McGeown free. Tones pushed forward but were failing to make it count. A chance came off the woodwork another effort was sent wide when it would have been easier to score. The Tones added two points without reply, the problem for them being it had taken fifteen minutes. It was now a two point match and a dangerous lead to hold considering that Sarsfields were having their own problems with lack of scoring. Sarsfields were given a scare when a low hard shot just skimmed the post. Moments later Mark McConville became the hero of the hour when he cleared a shot on the line that had the Highmoss keeper beaten. Had that chance gone in it is debatable whether Sarsfields would have remained in the championship. Sarsfields held on but a better performance would be required in the next round and certainly a single point in the second half was a poor return.