Match Reports‎ > ‎

Superb Comeback in First Home Match

posted 12 Apr 2012, 14:16 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jul 2012, 11:57 ]

Sarsfields 2-11 Dromintee 2-09

Straight from the throw in, Dromintee attacked but the ball was forced out for a ‘45’. Sarsfields cleared their lines and in pushing forward they were guilty of overplaying the ball. Eventually the ball was passed to Paul McGeown who turned and knocked the ball confidently over the bar. Further attacks saw Sarsfields blew up for over carrying. Dromintee pushed forward and Highmoss keeper was forced to push the ball around the post for the visitor’s second ‘45’ of the game. From the free Dromintee found a free man and hit a handy point. Sarsfields had a few wides with poor choices being taken in the forward line, though a decent left footed effort from Michael Stevenson edged Sarsfields ahead. Dromintee were looking dangerous going forward and were creating goal chances, so it was no great surprise to see them hit the Sarsfields net. For the next fifteen minutes it was all Dromintee and by the final minute of the half they had hit 2-05 without reply. Dromintee might have been further ahead and were creating goal scoring chances, but they had a few chances go wide. From a Highmoss perspective Darran McAvoy made a great initial save for the second goal, but saw the ball come back off the post and across the goal out of his reach. Darran also made a fingertip save, pushing the ball over the crossbar. In the midfield battle Sarsfields were clearly second best and as half time approached, the game seemed to be gone. An injury time rally led to a point from Eamon McGeown and a valuable superbly taken goal from his brother Paul. John Stevenson made good work carrying the ball out of defence and when he was fouled, the quick free was sent in to Paul McGeown. At the break it was 2-06 to 1-03, but with thirty minutes gone the visitors had a ten point lead and it could easily have been a much wider gap between the sides.
Sarsfields began strongly in the second half and within three minutes had halved the deficit with points from Thomas McAlinden, Richie and Michael Stevenson. By the tenth minute Sarsfields had pulled level. Michael Stevenson landed a super free from the sideline, just as he had been doing for the county and Thomas McAlinden and Paul McGeown also made it two points apiece. Sarsfields had the opportunity to go three up from a penalty, but the Dromintee keeper made a great save from a well taken low and hard, Richie Stevenson penalty. Within moments though the lead was three points, when a free was sent in to Thomas McAlinden and he blasted the ball to the net. This goal spurred the visitors into action and ended the purple patch for Highmoss. Dromintee might well have pulled level but for a top drawer save from Darran McAvoy. Dromintee had three attacks were they could and should have scored, but crucially they didn’t. They did reduce the gap to two points but Richie Stevenson restored the three point lead and it needed a bit of work to get the shot in. In end to end football the South Armagh side narrowed the gap in injury time, but Paul McGeown from a very acute angle added a score to ensure Sarsfields wouldn’t be beaten. A final effort from Dromintee deep in injury time closed the gap to two points but on the kick out the final whistle sounded. Sarsfields had come from ten points down and hit 2-07 without reply to win. It is often said that forwards win games, but on this occasion a lot of the credit can go to Darran McAvoy for a superb goalkeeping display.